Skip Navigation, or press ALT and K together and then press enter.Welcome to the DCYA website. This site has been developed for both the visually impaired and non visually impaired. If you would like to use the visually impaired version of this site please go to, or press ALT and I together and then press enter

Concerned About A Child's Welfare And Protection?

All organisations including Government Departments, schools, health services, religious bodies, public sector agencies, clubs and leisure sector, funded organisations, private and voluntary bodies that are in contact with or providing services to children have an overall corporate duty and responsibility to safeguard children by:

  • promoting the general welfare, health, development and safety of children;
  • adopting and consistently applying a safe and clearly defined method of recruiting and selecting staff and volunteers;
  • developing tailored guidance and procedures, in accordance with Children First: National Guidance, for staff and volunteers who may have reasonable grounds for concern about the safety and welfare of children involved with the organisation;
  • identifying a designated liaison person to act as a liaison with outside agencies and a resource person to any staff member or volunteer who has child protection and welfare concerns. The designated liaison person is responsible for reporting allegations or concerns of child abuse to the Child and Family Agency or to An Garda Síochána;
  • ensuring that the organisation has clear written procedures on the action to be taken if allegations of abuse against employees/volunteers are made;
  • raising awareness within the organisation about potential risks to children’s safety and welfare;
  • developing effective procedures for responding to accidents and complaints.

Organisations should contact the Child and Family Agency where they are concerned about a child’s welfare and co-operate with the statutory bodies in the ongoing assessment and management of the case.

If you are a member of the public and you have any concerns about the welfare of a child you should contact the local social work duty service in the Child and Family Agency in the area where the child concerned resides. If in your view a child is in serious danger, and you cannot contact Tusla, you should contact the Gardaí without delay.

Back to Child Welfare and Protection Policy - What We Do