Skip Navigation, or press ALT and K together and then press enter.Welcome to the DCYA website. This site has been developed for both the visually impaired and non visually impaired. If you would like to use the visually impaired version of this site please go to, or press ALT and I together and then press enter



National Childminding Initiative and Guidelines

The National Childminding Initiative provides supports for childminders and for people interested in becoming childminders. It is administered locally by the City and County Childcare Committees (CCCs). A first step to becoming a childminder would be to contact your local City and County Childcare Committee to avail of their Quality Awareness Lecture Programme. On completion of this programme, childminders may avail of a capital grant of up to €1,000 under the Childminder Development Grant Scheme. This can be used to buy safety equipment, toys or to make minor adjustments to the childminder's home to enhance or establish the childminding service.

The National Guidelines for Childminders, recently launched by the Office of the Minister for Children, will assist childminders by providing guidance for good practice in the area. They contain details on:

  • nationally agreed guidelines for good childminding practice;
  • detailed information on Statutory Notification to the Health Service Executive (HSE) and Voluntary Notification;
  • services provided to childminders by the City/County Childcare Committees, the Childminder Advisory Officers and Childminding Ireland;
  • contact details of relevant organisations, including addresses and telephone numbers. 

Download a copy of the National Guidelines for Childminders - Revised August 2008

English version  Irish version


Childcare Services Relief (Childminders' tax exemption)

Childminders taking care of 3 or fewer children under the age of 18 may be entitled to avail of the Childcare Services Relief from the Revenue Commissioners, provided their annual childminding income comes to no more than €15,000.

To apply for the Childcare Services Relief, childminders are obliged to make an annual tax return of their childminding income to the Revenue Commissioners and must also provide evidence that they have notified their local City or County Childcare Committee through the Childminder Advisory Officer that they are providing a childminding service.

Further details are available in the National Guidelines for Childminders.