Commission of Investigation – Mother and Baby Homes
Statement by the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Dr Katherine Zappone, on receiving the 2nd Interim Report of the Commission of Investigation
(Mother and Baby Homes and certain related Matters)
16th September 2016
The Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes has today submitted a 2nd Interim Report to the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Dr Katherine Zappone.
This Report has been prepared in response to the Minister’s request that the Commission would, in accordance with the requirements of Article 6 of its terms of reference, report on whether it considers any additional matters may warrant further investigation as part of the Commission’s work.
This request was made of the Commission in July when the Government agreed an extension of the time for the submission of two reports.
Upon receiving the Report, Minister Zappone said “I welcome this second Report and the progress being made by the Commission. It is my intention to publish the Report after I have an opportunity to study it carefully and to consider its findings. I will do so as quickly as possible as I am mindful that many people and their families have strong personal connections to the work of this Commission."
The Minister has today sent the Report to the Attorney General for her advices. The Minister will respond to the issues raised in the report in consultation with her cabinet colleagues.
Information and Counselling Services
There is a telephone Information line available for people seeking information or details of support available to those affected by these issues. Those seeking such information may telephone the HSE National Information Line; Low Call Telephone 1850 24 1850 during Monday to Friday 9am to 5 pm.
The National Counselling Service is also available to assist those affected. The HSE National Counselling Service is a professional, confidential counselling and psychotherapy service available free of charge in all regions of the Health Service Executive for adults who have experienced trauma and abuse in childhood with priority given to adult survivors of institutional abuse in Ireland. Callers to the HSE National Information line will be connected to a local service.
Those seeking adoption information and tracing information may wish to visit the following sites:
- Press Release - Minister Reilly announces the establishment of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes and Certain Related Matter (19th February 2015)
- Statutory Instruments. S.I. No. 57 of 2015 - Commission of Investigation (Mother and Baby Homes and Certain Related Matters) Order 2015
- Speech - Commission of Investigation (Mother and Baby Homes and certain related Matters) Order, 2015 (21st January 2015)
- Minister Announces the establishment of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes and Certain Related Matters (9th January 2015)
- Ministers Speech (9th January 2015)
- Draft Order - Commission of Investigation (Mother and Baby Homes and Certain Related Matters) Order 2015
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Press Release - Minister Reilly Announces Important Steps in Establishing an Effective Investigation into the Mother and Baby Home Controversy (16th July 2014)
- Seanad Statement by Minister Flanagan re Mother and Baby Home Commission of Investigation (1st July 2014)
- Press Release - Update from Minister Flanagan re Mother and Baby Home Commission of Investigatio (25th June 2014)
- Seanad Debate by Minister Fegus O'Dowd T.D. on behalf of Minister Charlie Flanagan T.D. Mother and Baby Investigation (18th June 2014)
- Press Release - Update from Minister Flanagan on Commission of Investigatio (18th June 2014)
- Seanad Statement - Mother and Baby Home (11th June 2014)
- Dáil Statements - Mother and Baby Home (10th June 2014)
- Topical Issues Debate - Tuam Mother and Baby Hom (5th June 2014)